Welcome to Day 1 of the most extreme medical conference this side of the known universe.
Gathering the world’s most inspiring medics from around the world, Day 1 of our World Extreme Medicine Conference is promising to be pretty impressive. You’ll hear from truly inspiring speakers – expedition leaders who have travelled with teams across all four corners of the world, explorers who have scaled the highest mountains and encountered some of the most intense and austere environments known to man, plus innovators who will be discussing the latest medical innovations in the fields of Extreme, Expedition & Wilderness Medicine and the various environments encountered, such as such as Space, high altitude, deep sea and volcanic areas.
Curious to know what you’ll see, hear and feel if you join us this year?
Here’s a taste…
- Chris Imray – Expedition Medicine Vascular Surgeon and world-renowned expert on frostbite and cold injuries will be chairing Day 1 of the conference and kick-starting our Biosphere talks with an interesting and in-depth talk around new research into the affects of altitude on brain activity.
- Expeditions Manager for Antarctic Logistics and Expeditions and expert Polar Guide, Steve Jones, explores the question, ‘there is no point in Expeditions anymore, is there?’… he’ll be taking a look at the greatest feats of human endurance in the polar regions, especially Antarctica as well as taking a look at some of the latest unsupported journeys and their significance on the idea of adventure.
- A World First: the EPIC Ice Maidens journey! Hear from the first-ever team of women to complete the formidable journey between the Ross Ice Shelf and the Hercules Inlet, using pure muscle power alone. Think women don’t have the mental strength and physical endurance to operate in the most hostile environment on earth? Think again!
- Get hands-on with bandaging, strapping and treating sports injuries in remote locations in our Physio workshop ‘Keeping the athlete moving’ led by Laura Penhaul, physio to the Team GB ski team, Paralympic ski and Paralympic summer sports.
- Hear Roz Savage, Ocean Rower, World-Class Adventurer and Guinness World Record Holder speak as she shares her unique story of being the first (and so far only) woman to row solo across the world’s ‘Big Three’ oceans – the Atlantic, Pacific, and Indian. She will be discussing her theoretical and very practical experience of radical personal transformation and inspiring other like-minded adventurers to think again about what is possible and how they can reach their full potential.
- Immerse yourself in our series of quick-fire talks throughout the day, spanning the essentials of tropical medicine and survival skills, from camp management and casualty extraction to treating heat illness and common endemic diseases.
- Our infamous Highland Cèilidh – not to be missed! A chance for you to relax in comfy shoes and meet #WEM18 staff, the speakers and delegates in a more informal and relaxed environment. Be prepared to learn the Scottish Ceilidh in the most spectacular of venues.
And that’s not even the tip of the iceberg – see the full schedule for Day 1 here. Be inspired to learn first-hand from these extraordinary medics by booking your tickets to the 2018 World Extreme Medicine Conference now – only a few places left!